Apple Keychain, also known as iCloud Keychain, is a password management service for Apple devices provided by Apple itself. You can use it to store and retrieve website usernames and passwords, app logins, and even credit card details across your iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices.
By using iCloud Keychain, you don’t need to remember any of your logins as Keychain will automatically fill in your credentials for you. Plus, it syncs your saved information across all your devices using iCloud. This way, the password saved on the iPhone can be used on the Mac and vice versa.
What data does iCloud Keychain store?
iCloud Keychain securely stores the following private and confidential information:
- Username and password of your website and application.
- Your credit card details but no security code.
- Passwords of all WiFi networks you have ever connected to.
- Electronic Signature.
iCloud Keychain requires your consent while storing certain types of passwords in its database.
How to Use Apple’s iCloud Keychain on iPhone/iPad
To use iCloud Keychain on iOS devices, you need to enable the feature first, then you can save and access its content.
Enable iCloud Keychain on iPhone/iPad
You must be signed in to the same Apple account on your iPhone that you use on your other devices to sync your Keychain content.
- Launch Setting app on your iPhone.
- Tap your name banner at the top.
- Choose icloud option to manage your iCloud account settings.
- Scroll down and tap Keychains right to buy.
- Turn on iCloud Keychain right to buy.
View passwords stored in your keychain on iPhone/iPad
If you’ve saved your login details in your iCloud Keychain, you can start accessing them right from your iOS device like your iPhone or iPad.
- Open Setting app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap the option that says Passwords & Accounts.
- Touch Website & App Passwords at the top of your screen.
- Authenticate yourself with Touch ID or Face ID.
- You’ll see all the logins you’ve ever saved in your Keychain. Tap a website in the list to see its login information.
- You’ll see both the username and password for that site on the following screen.
Add personal info & credit card details to keychain
iCloud Keychain allows you to manually add information to your Keychain. This way you can store both your personal information as well as your credit card details in this service. You can then access this data on any of your iCloud-enabled devices.
- Access Setting app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap The hunt right to buy.
- Clap Autofill Under Shared section.
- Touch My information option to add your personal information.
- Select your contact card to add your personal information to Keychain.
- Clap Saved credit cards.
- Confirm your identity with Touch ID or Face ID.
- Clap Add credit card.
- Enter your credit card details and your card will be added to the Keychain.
How to use iCloud keychain on Mac
On your Mac, you can use iCloud Keychain to store, retrieve, and even create passwords for your online accounts. There is an option to manually add data to your Keychain.
Turn on iCloud Keychain on Mac
You don’t need an app or anything like that to activate iCloud Keychain on your Mac.
- Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.