For safety reasons, driving while using a mobile phone is generally prohibited by law.
With Apple CarPlay, everything is routed through the car’s infotainment system, giving you hands-free, easy and secure access to iPhone apps. In this way, you can use your iPhone to make phone calls, send and receive texts, and listen to music while driving.
However, you may not be able to connect CarPlay, or you may not hear anything even if it is connected. Also, the CarPlay app may not open properly, which may limit what you can do.
This guide describes some of the reasons CarPlay isn’t working and some possible fixes you can use to reconnect everything.
Why Apple CarPlay doesn’t work
Depending on your car, you can connect your iPhone to CarPlay using a USB cable, or if your car supports wireless connectivity, you can pair your iPhone with your car’s Bluetooth.
Regardless of which method you use, there are several reasons why CarPlay may not work, even if it used to work.
- Bad USB cable
- iPhone not detected
- Bluetooth connection problem
- Problems with iOS updates
- Incompatibility issues
- Problems with integration between apps
How to fix an issue where Apple CarPlay isn’t working
There are many other car systems besides the iPhone that make it difficult to troubleshoot CarPlay issues. If the problem is no sound, no connection, or the app isn’t working, this guide has some useful fixes and tips to help CarPlay work again.
Before trying the following fixes, check the following:
- The first thing to check is that your iPhone and car infotainment system are turned on. If your car has an activation option, make sure it is selected.
- Make sure Apple CarPlay is supported in your country’s region. This is because it is not available everywhere.
- Make sure CarPlay is compatible with your car. If you’re not sure, check your car’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer. If your car stereo is not compatible, you can get compatible aftermarket stereos from brands such as Alpine, Clarion, Blaupunkt, JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony.
- Make sure your iPhone has the latest iOS version and supports CarPlay (iPhone 5 or later).
- Make sure your car has the latest firmware installed. If you are using Aftermarket Stereo, check the manufacturer’s website for firmware updates and get instructions on how to update.
- Unpair your iPhone and car and try pairing again. This is usually useful if the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the car infotainment system is broken.
- Unpairs other Bluetooth devices connected to your iPhone that may interfere with or conflict with your device or car when using CarPlay.
If CarPlay still doesn’t work after all these checks, try the following fixes to see if the problem goes away and CarPlay works again.
1. Check the connection
You can connect to your CarPlay stereo using a USB cable or wireless connection. If you are using a USB cable, physically check that the cable is not damaged or loosened, or try a different cable if you have a different USB port.
If you use a wireless connection, your iPhone[設定]Enable Bluetooth and WiFi with.
- To enable WiFi setting >> >> Wifi..
- Tap Wifi Turn the switch on / green to enable it.
- Then tap setting Tap again bluetooth Turn the switch on / green to enable it.
2. Restart your iPhone and car infotainment system
If CarPlay still doesn’t work after trying another connection, check to see if the CarPlay logo appears on your car’s display. If not, restart your iPhone and car.
Use the following steps to restart your iPhone based on your iPhone model.
- For iPhone SE (1st For generations) or iPhone 5 models, press and hold the button at the top to turn the iPhone off and then back on.
- For iPhone SE (2)nd For generations), iPhone 6, 7, and 8 models, press and hold the side button to power off the device and then turn it back on.
- For iPhone X and later models, press and hold either the volume or side button, then press the side button again to turn it on.
Note: To restart the vehicle infotainment system, please check the vehicle user manual for instructions. After restarting your device, try using CarPlay again on your iPhone to see if the issue goes away.
3. Make sure Siri is enabled
If your vehicle supports Siri Eyes Free, you can hold down the voice command on the steering wheel to make a request. However, if Siri is disabled, it will not be available in CarPlay.
- To enable Siri setting >> >> Search with Siri..
- Enable the following options. Allow Siri when locked and listen to Hey Siri When Press the side button for Siri or press Home for Siri..
4. Make sure CarPlay is not restricted
If CarPlay doesn’t detect your iPhone, make sure your iPhone isn’t restricted in service.
- To do this setting Tap on iPhone Screening time..
- Then tap Content and privacy restrictions..
- Tap your car Then tap Forget this car.. Follow the steps in the guide to set up Apple CarPlay again.
5. Check if CarPlay is allowed while locked
If you’ve tried the checks and fixes listed so far and CarPlay still doesn’t work, check to see if it’s allowed when locked.
- To do this setting Tap on iPhone Universal >> >> CarPlay..
- Tap Your car..
- Then toggle the switch next to it Allow CarPlay while locked Enable if off.
6. Disable USB restricted mode
USB Restricted Mode is an iOS feature that protects iOS user data from passcode hackers who use USB devices to hack passcodes through the Lightning port. This feature internally disables the USB data connection after a while.
- To disable this feature setting Tap on iPhone Face ID and passcode Also Touch ID and passcode..
- Enter your passcode when prompted Allow access when locked section.
- Then tap USB accessories Switch to on Disable USB restricted mode.
Note: If you disable this feature, Lightning-based phone accessories will work even if your iPhone is locked. However, disabling USB restricted mode risks exposing your iPhone to certain threats. However, if you’re happy with it, you can disable it while using CarPlay and enable it when you don’t need it.
7. Reset all settings
If there is a problem with the iPhone app, the system settings may change and CarPlay may not work properly. In this case, resetting all system settings to the defaults will return everything to normal.
- To reset all iPhone settings setting >> >> Universal >> >> reset..
- Tap Reset all settingsFollow the prompts to complete the process and see if CarPlay works properly again.
- You can also reset your phone’s network settings because a network-related error may have interrupted or broken the connection between your iPhone and CarPlay. To clear and reset your iPhone’s network settings setting >> >> Universal >> >> reset >> >> Reset network settings..
- Enter your iPhone passcode and tap Options Confirm reset.. When complete, iPhone will automatically restart and load the default network options. However, you will need to re-enable WiFi and Bluetooth to use it again with CarPlay.
Make CarPlay work again correctly
We hope that the tips and fixes in this guide will help you troubleshoot and fix CarPlay when it’s not working. If you have further problems, you can contact Apple Support or the vehicle manufacturer for guided support for problems with your car’s infotainment system.