Accidental deletion is one of the worst things that can happen to a smartphone user. Especially if you use iPhone and you accidentally delete text messages on your device, then recovering text messages from iPhone is too complicated for any user.
If you’ve lost or deleted your messages, you might be looking for a way to recover them. With all the limitations that iPhone comes with, there is no simple solution that will help you get all your deleted messages back.
However, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t any method to recover messages on your iPhone. There are actually several ways, including two official ones, to help you recover your messages. Each of these methods has its advantages and disadvantages but at least you have to try and recover your text.
Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone with iTunes Backup
If you’ve been using your iPhone for a while, you’re probably familiar with iTunes backups. An iTunes backup is a full backup of all the files stored on your iPhone. The good thing about these backups is that they also contain a copy of your text messages.
If you created a backup of your device using iTunes before deleting the text, you can restore the backup and it will restore the deleted text messages for you.
However, there is one thing you need to keep in mind. When you restore an iTunes backup on your iPhone, it erases all existing content on the device. It will then restore everything your backup has including messages to your phone.
If you don’t mind going back to the time when your backup was created and you have no problem with losing your phone’s current data, then this is the easiest way to restore text messages on iPhone.
- Connect iPhone to your computer with a compatible cable and launch iTunes application. If you’re using macOS Catalina, you’ll need to use Seeker to perform the steps below.
- When it opens, click Edit at the top and select the option that says Interests. It will open iTunes’ settings menu.
- When you confirm the word backup before deleting the text, close the preferences pane.
- Click your iPhone icon in the app, select Summary from the left sidebar and click Restore a backup available on the right hand compartment.
- Select the backup you want to restore on your iPhone and click Restore.
First, it will erase all content on your iPhone. It will then start restoring files and other data from your selected backup.
Once the backup is fully restored, you’ll see your deleted text messages back in the Messages app on your iPhone.
Restore iCloud Backup to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
iTunes is not the only way people use to back up their iPhone. iCloud is also a favorite option for many users to create full backups of their iOS devices, including iPhones. If this is where your iPhone backups are saved, then you can restore one of these backups on your iPhone and restore text messages.
Again, be warned that this will erase all data on your device. It will then restore everything from the backup to your iPhone including your lost text messages.
If you have certain files that you don’t want to lose in the process, copy them to cloud storage or transfer them to your computer before you do the following procedure.
- On your iPhone, launch Setting app and tap Shared Followed by Reset.
- On the Reset screen, you will find options to reset various settings on your device. You want to find the option that says Erase all content and settings and click on it.
- Wait for your iPhone to be completely erased. When it’s done, start setting it up.
- When you come Applications & Data screen while setting up the device, find and tap the option that says Restore from iCloud Backup.
- You will need to choose a backup from your iCloud account and it will be restored on your iPhone.
Once the backup is restored and you’re on your phone’s home screen, launch the Messages app and you’ll see all your deleted text messages restored.
Use a third-party app to recover deleted text messages on iPhone
The two methods described above will get the job done very well provided you meet their minimum requirements. If you have a backup from before deleting messages and you are ok with deleting current data from your phone then those are the easiest ways to restore messages on iPhone.
However, if you’re someone who has never made any backups or you don’t want to lose your device’s current data, those methods might not be ideal for you.
In your case, a better approach would be to use one of the many data recovery apps available in the market for your iPhone. Many of these apps allow you to restore your text messages even if you don’t have any previous backups. Also, these apps don’t force you to erase your iPhone before messages can be recovered.
The only downside to using these apps is that they don’t guarantee that your files will be recovered. However, it’s worth trying them out if you don’t have any other methods to get your messages back yet.