In an effort to make it easier for people to switch from Android to iOS devices, Apple has developed an app called Move to iOS. It allows you to quickly and easily migrate your data from an Android-powered device to an iOS device. The app works perfectly fine most of the time, but it has its fair share of problems. Sometimes you will find that ‘Switch to iOS’ doesn’t work on your phone.
There are a lot of things that could be the possible culprit here. Maybe your Android switched to another WiFi network during the transfer? Or maybe you’re trying to load more items on your iPhone than it can hold?
Restart both your devices
One of the basic things you can try to fix the problem is to restart your device. Restarting has a big effect on most minor problems on your phone and it’s the fastest method that you can try.
On both Android and iOS based devices, you can use Power to turn them off. When they are completely turned off, press and hold the same Power and they will turn on.
Make sure you don’t exceed your iOS device’s storage space
While doing the migration with the Migrate to iOS app, you need to make sure that your iPhone is capable of handling what you are transferring from your Android device.
It basically means that you need to check if there is enough storage space on your iPhone to store files coming from your Android device.
Turn off Smart WiFi Adapter on your Android device
Most Android phones have a feature called WiFi Optimizer to optimize your network connection. It basically connects you to an active WiFi connection when the connection you’re connected to is found to be inactive.
The WiFi hotspot your iPhone creates for data transfers is actually an idle connection because it doesn’t connect you to the Internet. As a result, your Android disconnects you from the network, which breaks the entire running transmission.
Disabling the option should fix the ‘Switch to iOS’ not working problem for you.
- Launch Setting app on your Android device.
- Tap the option that says Wi-Fi and Internet to open your WiFi settings.
- Knock on WIFI on the following screen to view your WiFi settings.
- You will see an option named Wi-Fi Options on the screen afterwards. Click on it to open it.
- There will be an option called Smart Wi-Fi Switcher. This is what disconnects you from your iPhone’s hotspot, so turn it off.
Turn off battery optimization for apps
One of the requirements when using Move to iOS is that the app should always be enabled in the foreground on your device, and you shouldn’t use any other apps while it’s running. Users who are aware of this won’t minimize the app, but your phone can if your battery settings are set up a certain way.
Your phone has something called a battery optimizer that tries to reduce battery usage on your device. Therefore, in some cases it closes some apps running on your phone.
You’ll need to make sure that the Switch to iOS app isn’t one of the apps the feature can close. Here’s how to make sure of it.
- Launch Setting app on your Android phone.
- Scroll down and tap the option that says Battery.
- Click Battery optimization right to buy.
- Find Switch to iOS application in the list and tap on it.
- Option No optimization from the options available on your screen and tap Accomplished.
Make sure your Android phone is connected to the WiFi hotspot on your iOS device
The way Move to iOS works is that it creates a peer-to-peer WiFi network for your Android phone to join, and you can then use that network as a medium to transfer your data. You need to make sure that your Android device is connected to the wireless network created by your iPhone.
- Access Setting app on your Android phone.
- Tap the option that says Wi-Fi and Internet.
- Make sure you’re connected to your iOS device’s network. Network names starting with iOS in most cases.
Enable Airplane Mode on your Android device
Apple recommends turning off cellular data when using the Switch to iOS app. It’s to make sure that your phone doesn’t automatically switch to mobile data for the Internet, and it’s also to prevent any incoming calls that might interfere with data transmission.
The best way to stay disconnected from everything but WiFi is to use airplane mode on your device. It will disconnect you from all other means of connection but will keep you connected to your iPhone’s WiFi network.
- Pull down the notification bar and you will see Airplane mode right to buy. Tap it and the mode will be activated.
- You may need to reconnect to your iOS device’s WiFi network.
Update the OS on your Android phone
Finally, if nothing works, you can try updating the OS version on your Android and see if that helps with the problem. If you are using a really old version of the operating system, that could be the reason why Move to iOS is not working on your device.
Updating an Android device is pretty easy, and you can do it from within your phone’s Settings app.
- Open Setting app on your phone.
- Scroll all the way down and tap the option that says System.
- Find System update on the following screen and tap it.
- If an update is available, you should be able to download and install it on your phone.
If your Migration to iOS not working issue is resolved, please let us know how you fixed it in the comments section below.