Watching YouTube videos on the go seems like a great idea until you realize how much data those videos consume. Instead of streaming all of your data, you may want to download YouTube videos to your iPhone before you begin.
Not only will you avoid any buffering issues and lower video quality, but you can also save your data for more important uses. YouTube Premium subscribers can download videos in the YouTube app, but you might prefer to download YouTube videos to your iPhone photo library, bypassing the app entirely.
Is downloading YouTube videos legal?
Before you rush to download YouTube Videos to your iPhone, you should probably know the legality of doing so. Technically, downloading YouTube videos outside of the YouTube app is a violation of its terms of service.
This means that YouTube could theoretically take action against you if you decide to follow these steps. This is to protect YouTube content, especially videos with protected media rights, but also to encourage users to subscribe to its YouTube Premium service, which allows users to download videos to their devices. their.
However, there are no reports of YouTube ever taking steps against individual users downloading videos (outside of YouTube Premium). Action has been taken against sites that automate the process, but not against individual users.
You should also review the local anti-piracy laws in your country or region to determine if you can do this without breaking the law.
How to download YouTube videos on iPhone
Unfortunately, there is no app that allows you to quickly download YouTube videos on your iPhone device. There’s no chance of something like that getting approved by Apple for App Store downloads, given the risk of abuse.
With that in mind, you’ll need to use a bit of a workaround. Sites like SaveTheVideo exist that will take the YouTube video link, parse it, then let you convert and download the video from there.
- First, you need to get the YouTube video direct link. In the YouTube app, find the video you want to download, then tap Share > Copy Link to copy the link to your clipboard.
- With the link saved, you’ll need to install the Documents by Readdle app on your iPhone. This file explorer app allows you to open web links in a built-in browser, allowing you to interact with the SaveTheVideo website.
- Once Documents by Readdle is installed, open the app and tap the compass icon at the bottom right. In the browser menu, go to savethevideo.com.
- At the SaveTheVideo website, press and hold Enter video link here text box, then paste your YouTube video in and press enter. Press Download (MP4) when you are ready to start downloading files. This may take some time to complete.
- The Downloaded by Readdle The app will ask you to confirm how you want to save the file. You can rename the video at this stage by pressing Name text box. Press Accomplished to start downloading the video when you are ready.
- You will then need to move the video to the Pictures folder. In the Documents app, open Download folder, tap three-dot menu icon next to your downloaded video file then tap Move.
- inside Move to menu, touch Picture folder, then press Move to move video files. This will allow the video to appear in your iPhone’s photo library in the Photos app.
The video will start downloading at this stage. Once the download is complete, you will be able to launch Picture app and play the video from there as if you were recording yourself.
Alternative methods to download YouTube videos
If you’re looking for another method to download YouTube videos to your iPhone, you’ll probably need another device like a PC or Mac. For example, you can rip YouTube videos with VLC, allowing you to download them to your PC before uploading them to your iPhone or iPad.
Of course, the best method is to use YouTube Premium. YouTube Premium subscriptions cost $12 a month, with a free one-month trial for new users as well as discounted student and family plans. It offers background playback options and is ad-free, but it also allows you to download videos on the go.
This is fully supported by YouTube, which means there are no legal issues for you to worry about. You can comfortably use it on any device of your choice, and it also grants you access to YouTube Premium, Google’s new music streaming service.
The only limitation is how long you can save the video. Subscribing to YouTube Premium allows you to download music and video content, but you can only keep it for 30 days without an internet connection. This is to ensure that video ownership is respected, which means YouTube can disable the content in the event of a copyright claim or if the video is removed or removed by the video owner.
To download YouTube videos with an active YouTube paid subscription, just tap Download on videos in the YouTube app. These steps will apply to both iPhone and Android devices.
You can choose between different video qualities — choose Full HD, High, Medium, or Shortthen press ALRIGHT for saving. Your downloaded YouTube videos will then be available in Download your part YouTube Library.
Enjoy YouTube content on iOS
If you download YouTube videos to your iPhone, you’ll be able to watch and enjoy them in maximum quality. You’ll also save them for future use, without worrying about Google tracking your personal data and streaming habits in the process.
You can even download entire YouTube playlists in one go, allowing you to enjoy multiple videos at once, or reduce YouTube data usage to keep streaming if you want. Let us know how you enjoy enjoying your YouTube content in the comments section below.