If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, it’s imperative that you keep backing up your data to iCloud or your computer. Ideally, you should do both. Doing so will further protect your photos, files, and documents from software or hardware-related issues.
However, if you have been using multiple iOS or iPadOS devices for years, you may have a lot of old backups that consume storage unnecessarily. If iCloud or computer free space is an issue, it’s best to get rid of them.
Here’s what you need to do to delete old iPhone and iPad backups from iCloud, Mac, and PC.
How to delete old iPhone backups in iCloud
If you want to delete old iPhone and iPad backups stored in iCloud, you can delete them using your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC signed in with your Apple ID.
Note: iCloud backups are incremental, so you won’t find multiple backups for a single iOS or iPadOS device.
Delete backup using iPhone and iPad
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, you can go to the iCloud Storage Management screen and delete your old iOS or iPad OS backups.
1. Open setting iPhone or iPad app. Then select your Apple ID (name) from the top of the screen.
2. Select the labeled option iCloud..
3. Tap Storage management [ストレージ]Below the section.
4. Select backup..
5. You will see a list of all iPhone and iPad backups in iCloud. Select the backup you want to delete.
Note: Device name or Last backup date (Displayed when you select a backup) Identifies backups of older iPhones and iPads that can be safely deleted.
6. Tap Delete backup..
7. Tap Turn off and delete Delete the backup permanently.
Delete backup using Mac
If you don’t have access to your iOS or iPad OS device, you can instead use the iCloud Storage Management screen on your Mac to view and delete backups of your old iPhone and iPad.
1. Open Apple Select a menu to select System Preferences..
2. Select Apple ID.. If your Mac is running on macOS Mojave or earlier, iCloud Instead, skip the next step.
3. Select iCloud side tab..
4. Select management The button next to the iCloud storage indicator.
5. Select backup In the sidebar.
6. Select the backup you want to delete. You can distinguish backups by device name and date. next, erase..
7. Select erase Once again, permanently delete the backup from iCloud.
Delete backup using PC
On Windows, you need to use the iCloud for Windows app to check and remove backups of your old iPhone and iPad from iCloud. If it’s not installed on your PC, get it from the Microsoft Store (or download it from Apple), install it, and sign in with your Apple ID before you start.
1. Select iCloud Select the icon in the system tray of your PC Open iCloud settings..
2. Select Storage The button next to the iCloud storage indicator.
3. Select backup In the sidebar.
4. Select the iPhone or iPad backup you want to delete.
5. Select erase..
6. Select erase Delete the backup permanently again.
How to delete old iPhone backups on Mac and PC
If you have backups of your old iPhone and iPad on your Mac or PC created using iTunes / Finder, there are several ways to delete them.
Note: You can also use the following methods to delete archived backups related to your current iOS or iPad OS device.
Delete backups using Storage Management (Mac only)
The most convenient way to delete old iPhone and iPad backups on Mac is to use the storage management applet. It is only available on macOS Mojave and later versions of the operating system.
1. Open Apple Select a menu to select About this Mac..
2. Switch to Storage tab.
3. Select iOS file Storage management sidebar.
4. You will see a list of old Mac backups. Control-click to select the backup you want to delete erase..
5. Select erase confirm one more time.
You can also delete old iPhone and iPad installation files (which you may have used to update or restore your iOS and iPad OS devices) to free up more storage space.You can find what is listed below them iOS installer A section of the same screen.
Delete backups using iTunes (Mac and PC)
If you’re using a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or a PC, use iTunes to back up your iOS and iPadOS devices. Similarly, you can use it to remove them.
1. Open iTunes. next, edit Select a menu to select Environmental setting..
2. Switch to device tab.
3. You will see a list of all iPhone and iPad backups you have created so far on your Mac or PC. Select the backup you want to delete Delete backup..
4. Select erase confirm one more time.
Delete backups using Finder (Mac only)
On macOS Catalina and later, use the Finder to back up your iPhone and iPad. You can also remove them, just like iTunes. However, you should have your iPhone or iPad with a compatible USB cable handy before you start.
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac.
2. Select your iPhone or iPad from the sidebar.
3. Select Backup management..
4. Select the backup you want to delete Delete backup..
5. Select erase To confirm.
Delete backups directly from the backup folder (Mac and PC)
On both Mac and PC, you can directly access the folder containing your iPhone and iPad backups and delete them manually. However, it is difficult (if not impossible) to distinguish between device backups due to the awkward display of related folder names. Use this method only if you want to quickly delete all iPhone or iPad backups on your Mac or PC.
1. Open finder.. next, go >> >> Move to folder Located in the menu bar.
2. Copy and paste the following path,[[go:
~ / Library / Application Support / MobileSync / Backup /
3. Control-click and select the backup folder you want to delete. Move to the trash..
1. Press Windows+R Open Run.
2. If you created the backup using the Microsoft Store version of iTunes, enter the following folder path,[all right:
% USERPROFILE% \ Apple \ MobileSync \ Backup
If you created the backup using a downloadable version of iTunes (from the Apple website), enter the following path instead:[all right:
% APPDATA% \ Apple Computer \ MobileSync \ Backup
3. Right-click on the backup folder you want to delete erase..
Manage iPhone backups on a regular basis
Unless you plan to set up new iOS or iPadOS devices using old iCloud or iTunes / Finder backups, there’s no reason to keep them. You can reuse large amounts of storage by checking and deleting old backups from time to time. While you’re doing that, you may also want to find out about iCloud and other ways to free up space on your Mac or PC.