Connecting your Mac to a local or remote server allows you to access all the files available on that particular server. macOS by default has a server connection feature that allows you to connect your Mac to any server without any restrictions. It then appears as a normal drive in Finder for you to access, work on, and even delete files from it.
There are many ways to mount a server as storage on your machine. You can do that using the native feature built into macOS, and you can even use a third-party app to access the server on your Mac.
How to Connect to a Server on a Mac Using Finder
Using Finder to establish a connection to the server is the easiest and fastest way to perform the task. All you need to do is launch an option on your Mac, enter your server details, and you’re good to go.
Keep your server login details at hand as you will need them in the following steps.
- Open a Finder window on your Mac. The easiest way to do that is to go to Desktop and you’ll be inside a Finder window.
- Click To go at the top of your window and select the option that says Connect to the server. Alternatively, press Command + CZK movie off.
- A prompt will appear asking you to enter your login details. Enter the details and it will connect you to the server.
Once you’re connected, your server will appear as a regular drive on your Mac. You can double-click this driver to access its contents and even add new files from your Mac.
When you’re done playing with the server, you may want to disconnect from it. You can do that by right clicking on the server and selecting Push out right to buy.
It will be removed from the Finder on your Mac.
How to connect to a recent server on a Mac
When you connect to a server on your Mac using Finder, your Mac saves the hostname on your system. It helps you to connect to it later without having to re-enter the server details.
Finding and connecting to recent servers on a Mac can be done in two ways.
Use the Apple Menu to connect to a server on your Mac
The Apple menu on a Mac allows you to open recently visited items, and this includes your servers as well.
- Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, select Recent items and you will find all your recently connected servers in the list.
- Click on any of the servers and you will be connected to them.
Use the Connect to Server Menu to Connect to a Recent Server
Another way to find and connect to a recent server is to use the same menu you used in the first place to make the connection.
- Go inside the Finder window, click To go at the top and select Connect to the server right to buy.
- There will be an icon that looks like a time machine. Click on it and you will see your recent server list. Select the server you want to connect to, and your Mac will connect to it.
Use AppleScript to connect your Mac to the server
AppleScript also has a feature that allows you to connect your Mac to a server from your code. It’s a one-line code that instructs Finder to open the specified server on your machine.
- Click Launchers in the Dock, search Script Editorand click on it when it appears on your screen.
- Click File menu at the top and select New to create a new script in the application.
- Click Script menu at the top and select Run to test your script and see if it connects to your chosen server.