Voice Memo on iPhone is a great app for recording audio and leaving voice messages for yourself. It has a simple interface and you can even edit and trim your audio directly in the app. So if you’ve included some work on your recording, it can be frustrating to accidentally delete it.
The deletion may also not be your fault and could be caused by an iPhone update, reset, or another internal problem. But no matter how it was deleted, you can still use at least one of these methods to recover your lost audio file.
1. Check Recently Deleted Folders
The first thing you need to do is check if the file is still on your iPhone, just located in the recently deleted folder in the Voice Memos app. This is where your recordings go first after being deleted and then permanently deleted after a certain number of days, or if you go in and delete them yourself. However, you can also restore them through this folder. Follow these steps to restore your Voice Memos.
- From the main recording page, tap the left arrow icon in the top left corner.
- Knock on Recently deleted.
- In the top right corner, tap Edit.
- Select the record(s) you want to restore, then press Recuperate at the bottom. You can also just press Restore all to recover all your deleted Voice Memos.
If you want to change the time it takes for your Recently Deleted folder files to be permanently deleted, you can go to Settings > Memo > Delete Deleted and choose your time limit.
2. Restore through iCloud
If you don’t see the deleted file in your Recently Deleted folder, it means the file has been permanently deleted. But not quite permanently, as you can still get it from an iCloud backup.
If you create iCloud backups or do them automatically, this might be an option for you. It does mean, however, that you’ll have to restore your iPhone to a previous state, which means you might lose more recent files on your iPhone. So this option should be taken only if you need the Deleted Sound Recording. Here’s how to do it.
- Go Setting > Shared > Reset.
- Clap Erase all content and settings.
- After restarting, when you are going through the open screens, stop at Application and data screen and press Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in with the same Apple ID you had on your iPhone when you created the Deleted Voice Memos.
- Select an iCloud backup that was completed the day before you deleted the Voice Memos.
- Once your iPhone is backed up, you can go to the Voice Memo app and see if the recording has been restored.
This route has the potential to activate your Deleted Voice Memos if you have an iCloud backup. If it doesn’t, or you don’t want a complicated iPhone reset, there are still options to restore your recordings.
3. Restore through iTunes synced device
Another option to get your Voice Memos back is to find it through iTunes on another device, such as your PC or Mac. Just make sure you have iTunes downloaded on this device and that your iPhone is synced with it. Then you can follow these steps to restore.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Click the iPhone icon in the top left corner.
- Option Music in the sidebar.
- Option Voice memos Below Playlists. If you’ve synced your voice memos with iTunes in the past, the deleted file might be here. At the bottom of the screen, click Synchronize button.
- Go back to your iPhone and check the Voice Memos app to see if the file is synced to your iPhone.
If you want to recover Voice Memos in another way on your iPhone, you can also use third-party recovery software to do this using the same method.
4. Use recovery software
There are many iPhone recovery software that can allow you to access deleted files. It’s easy to access your files through this method, but you only need to pay for the software up front.
You can also use recovery software with iTunes to restore your Voice Memos that way. You just need to connect your iPhone to your computer via USB to be able to use these methods. Since you will only use it to recover Voice Memos, you can just use a free program or version.
Stellar Data Recovery is a great piece of software for this, offering either a free version or one you can buy. If you just want to recover files, you can simply download the free version of the software.
Another recovery software you can use is iMyFone D-Back. This also offers a free download where you can recover deleted files from your iPhone. This method is an easy to understand way to recover lost Sound Recordings without having to restore your iPhone.
Restore voice memos
With either of these methods, you should be able to get back any accidentally deleted Voice Memos that you might want to have. One important thing to note is how long ago you deleted the record, because the further away you delete the record, the less likely you are to recover it. So, if you delete a Voice Memos that you want, remember to restore it as soon as possible.
You can also increase your recovery by regularly backing up your iPhone data. This will ensure that previous files are available in some form, so you don’t have to worry about losing deleted files again.